Tuesday, April 16, 2024

April 16th Never too old to learn

 Today we woke up in a hotel near Soraksan. For those who don't know, it is one of Korea's National parks and has the highest mountains in South Korea. A great place to hike and climb. In fact, I climbed to the top of the highest peak 50 years ago with my Korean friend Pak Shi.

So today, Mary Ann and I got a taxi and rode to the entrance of Sorack National Park. Nothing but stunning views on the ride up.But since we were in a taxi I have none  you will have to take your own  


Our first destination was the cable car that takes you up to one of the peaks. You can ride back down or walk. After some food and  beer, we decided to ride back down.


Going up







Some videos from the top  if you listen closely you can hear a monk chanting . Dod I mention it was windy?






Then a hike to a couple of waterfalls down below on level ground.

This is where education and learning comes in. Fifty years ago I fast walked to these places as well as the summit. But now I am a bit older, have a busted disc in my lower back and am carrying several more pounds than 50 years ago. We get to the bridge with 2.2 kilometers to go and Mary Ann turns around and says that she will meet me at the entrance to the park after I go to the waterfalls. That is intelligence number one. I get to the other side of the bridge and realize from the map that the waterfalls are not on level ground as depicted before, but higher up. Intelligence number two is me turning around and going to the entrance, meeting Mary Ann and having a beer and coffee outside on a beautiful Spring day.

Taxi home and naps. I then go to the veranda in back of our hotel, Makoli and cup in hand to enjoy the stream that runs behind our hotel. It gets very windy, but I stay because moments like this don't come very often. Mary Ann comes out for a bit but only fools like me ignore the wind and savor the moment. Plus I was having a very nice What'sApp texting with my Daughter Jessica who is in France.



See everyday doesn’t have to end with chicken and beer  


The back deck of our place was over the stream/river and built around the rocks.  Jessica said that was because it was easier to cut wood than rocks. 


Then Jessica wanted to know more about where we were staying.





Went downstairs to the lobby on our way to dinner elsewhere and met a very nice young lady from Australia who was here after her sister went back to Australia. We invited her to dinner and found a very nice place with all different meals which was good because Nicole is a vegetarian. Nice meal, nice conversation. As we were leaving, we met an Israeli who was here hiking before going to Japan to meet his fiance and then hike through Japan. Stop for ice cream for the room and then to bed. Not sure what we are doing tomorrow, but we know it will not involve mountains. Sad but that is the way it is.



2 comments:

June 28th. Home 12 days

 Well we have been back home for 12 days now.  So go to be home and sleep in our own bed with only Drs appointments to keep track of the day...